Sunday, May 22, 2011

Storms of Life or Showers of Blessings?



We have within ourselves the power and authority to decide never to face another storm but only dwell in showers of blessings. As I walked and prayed this morning, I noticed the gray skies and knew that it could change quickly, as it usually does here in Missouri. I asked God to hold back the rain long enough for me to get to the place I call the Holy of Holies. It's my special place where I talk to God. I always find comfort and solitude there and I thought the thick canopy of trees would keep me from the brunt of the storm. I could hear the pitter patter of rain on the leaves as God began to share with me about the anatomy of a sin, which I will be posting on my blog very soon.

My thoughts took a drastic turn as thunder shook the trees. I continued to walk and talk to God through the trees slightly distracted but soon the thunder became a steady roll with intermittent loud booms that would disrupt my pace for an instant. With the constant roll of thunder came a lightning display that was unbelievable. I couldn't see the full view but was watching through the thick canopy of trees above me. Within moments, I was drenched. Then came the 1/4" to 1/2" hail stones that bounced off the brim of my hat. I found a big oak tree and nestled close hoping for a little more cover, praying that one of the many bolts of lightning didn't choose that tree to strike.

It was then that God lay on my heart that if I would continue on my walk and praise him, then he would turn this vicious storm into showers of blessings. So I did and He did. I walked and gave God praise. I no longer felt the cold drops of rain hitting me. The hail stopped but the rain become more intense, the thunder and lightning continuing as an orchestra to its final crescendo. But I was showered in God’s blessing.

After about thirty minutes, the full body of the storm had passed but the rain lingered behind with a light sprinkling for the rest of my time of worship. It was in this time that God spoke. It is in the storms of life that God ALWAYS speaks, but we don't always hear. It is because we get too busy looking at the storm to notice Jesus walking on the water. The next time a storm hits, instead of focusing on the storm, look for Jesus because He has something to say. You will be amazed at how quickly the storm will pass. I have lived long enough to be able to look back and see that all of my spiritual growth came from the storms of life. Now I endeavor to embrace the storms that confront me and look for Jesus, listening for His voice.

So for some it will always be a storm, but to me, showers of blessings.

Mark 4: And he arose , and rebuked the wind , and said unto the sea , Peace , be still. And the wind ceased , and there was a great calm. And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? How is it that ye have no faith? And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?


No comments:

Post a Comment