Friday, May 6, 2011

How Do I Love Jesus More

This morning it was as if I was in a great auditorium and the show was about to begin. I was awakened with a great yearning and excitement. I went through my morning regiment with a rush. There was an urgency to get to my place of worship.

With great anticipation I waited for the show to begin. When I bailed out of my car and found my way to the walk trail, it was as if the curtain opened and I was enveloped in Christ's love and power. I began to worship and Jesus walked beside me. It wasn't long before He spoke to my spirit and said, "Bobby, Satan has desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat, but I have prayed for you. I allow him to have his power, but it is you that I love and it's in you that I dwell. So if all power emanates from me then he can have no power over you. Therefore, he cannot destroy you because within you is the full authority and power of Calvary."
Jesus began to show me where He has brought me from, and this is what I saw. I was standing at the edge of a high precipice flailing my arms to keep from falling. Then Jesus appeared from out of nowhere to extend His hand. I reached for it and felt His strong, sure grip. It was then, while still at the edge of the precipice, no longer flailing but feeling very safe, that he said, "Do you love me?" I said, "Yes, Lord, I love you." Then he said, "Feed my sheep."

I know you have all seen this scenario before with a guy named Peter a few years back. But this is different because this time, for me, it was very personal. God gave me some pieces to a puzzle and said to finish the puzzle that I have been given. Looking at the puzzle, I, like Peter realized I love Jesus. But not enough. What can I do that will cause me to love you more. Then Jesus said, "Finish the puzzle with the pieces I have given you. When I looked at the puzzle the piece right next to "feed my sheep" was missing, so I put in first the piece of commitment. I can't feed sheep without commitment.

The picture became a little more clear, so I looked for the next piece. There it was. Prayer. Yep, a perfect fit. But there was one last piece. Faith. When I put faith on the other side of feed my sheep, I had all the pieces together. It was a picture of a powerful and perfect relationship with Christ surrounded by our love for each other. You see, your love is measured by your level of commitment. Your commitment will drive you to prayer and it is your prayer that will empower you to action. It is your action that builds your faith and it is your faith that increases your love. That is the complete picture, the same picture that Peter saw. Three times Peter denied Christ,three times Peter was asked do you love me, and three times Peter was called into action.
Love is most often destroyed by what we don't do rather than by what we do. For example, in a marriage it is what a husband or wife fail to do that will ultimately destroy a marriage. We become so focused on patting ourselves on the back because of all the things we are doing right, that we don't pay any attention to the little things that we are not doing. It is these things that keeps our love for Christ from growing. Take the time to look for those things that you are not doing and do them, then watch your love for Christ and in your marriage grow.

At David Wilkerson's memorial a video was played. It listed many accomplishments and ministries that are now worldwide and though he is now with Christ, the workcontinues. What got my attention was at the very first of the video, it showed a television being turned off and the narrator saying, "David Wilkerson turned off his television." Before David Wilkerson accomplished anything, there was a commitment made and that commitment called him to prayer and his prayers sent him to the gang riddled streets of New York. When he found himself on the streets of New York, reaching out to gang members, he soon saw his faith Increase. As time passed his love for Christ had been made complete.

In a successful relationship with God, it will always be the same pattern. Love is measured by our level of commitment. Our commitment will drive us to pray. Our prayer will empower us to action. Our action will build our faith and it is our faith that increases our love.
This cycle begins with commitment and it is you who determines your level of commitment. How much do you want to love Jesus? Feed His sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment